International Geo-Hazards Research Society

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > IGRS Third International Symposium, 10-14 June, 2012

Manikant Shah

I extend powerful thanks to IGRS for including the Social Sciences in its 'Third International' at Tehri. Research literature on geohazards has been pouring in the sub-discipline of Environmental Sociology within the broader discipline of Sociology that is my subject. I appreciate the daring shown by the council and the President of IGRS for opening up the borders of deliberation upon a topic of research that apparently exudes physical and material aspects. This gesture makes the engagement truly inter-disciplinary which perhaps is the need of the hour and that geohazards ultimately affect people, communities and societies. 

Sociology has an accepted mandate of being a generalizing science. So a student of Sociology has to build up a knowledge base of the basics of all the sciences and follow the new knowledge being created within them. Sociology can perhaps then draw inferences where the society is heading and how it will fare. Sociology can also help in bringing to the notice of the scientists which areas need to be looked into that pose potential hazards to the people and society. Knowledge is a human endeavour but dividing it up into subjects and disciplines that pull on different directions, without giving them a possibility to come together, perhaps poses the greatest hazard that faces humanity. 

IGRS has probably overcome this hazard.

--
June 14, 2012 at 1:50 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

Recent Videos

No recent videos

Local Time

Tehri Garhwal