|Bal Krishna Rastogi||
Joined Jun 25 2012
Presently, Dr. B. K. Rastogi is Director General, Institute of Seismological Research, Raisan, Gandhinagar 382 009,India
M. Sc. (1966) Applied Geophysics and Ph.D. (1972) Geophysics, Indian School of Mines, Dhanbad.
Post-graduate Diploma in Seismology, IISEE, Tokyo (1975)
• Senior Scientific Assistant, Oil & Natural Gas Commission, India (1967)
• Scientist, National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad, India (1968-2003)
• Emeritus Sc., National Geophysical Research Institute, Hyderabad (2003-2006)
• Director General, Institute of Seismological research, Gandhinagar (2006-Present)
• Postdoctoral Fellow, Univ. S. Carolina and USGS Menlo Park, USA (1977-1980)
• Visiting Fellow: Inst Geophys., Univ. Hamburg, Germany (1992)
Honours / Awards / Recognitions:
Golden Jubilee Honorary Scientist Award of International Institute of Seismology and Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo, 2012
Fellow Guj. Sc. Academy, 2011
Ind. Geophysical Union Decennial Medal-2011
JICA Fellowship, Int. Inst. Seism. Earthq. Engg., Tokyo, Japan (1974-75)
"Distinguished Alumni Award" Golden Jubilee Award from Indian School of Mines, 1977.
Inclusion of Name in "International Directory of Geophysical Research" for most active research workers, Elsevier, Amsterdam.
Inclusion of name in active seismologists of India in IASPEI Directory.
European Council Fellowship (Madam Curie Bursary) of Commission of European Communities, Univ. Hamburg, Germany and Univ. Grenoble, France (1993)
The paper published in Tectonophysics, 2004, was honored at Am.Geophys.Un. meeting in 2008 as one of the ten most referred papers of the Journal Tectonophysics in a decade.
• Different types of Geophysical Surveys (like gravity, magnetic, shallow seismic, electrical and electromagnetic) for basement mapping and detection of faults.
• Seismic monitoring and earthquake hazard assessment around ten dams in AP, Maharashtra, Karnataka, MP and TN. and around Kudankulam and Kalapakkam Nuclear power plants.
• Aftershock studies of ten strong earthquakes in Himalaya and rest of India. Preparation of isoseismal maps, estimation of source mechanism and delineation of causative faults for these earthquakes and seismotectonics of several regions of India.
• Earthquake forecasting studies in several areas of Peninsular India and NE India.
• Seismic Microzonation and vulnerability in different parts of Gujarat. Seismic Probabilistic Seismic Hazard assessment of India and the state of Gujarat.
• First assessment (in 1968) of Bombay High oilfield that oil exists in several structures through marine magnetic survey. Oil exploration in Cambay basin near Dhandhuka during 1967.
• Developed seismic characteristics to differentiate reservoir-induced earthquakes from ordinary earthquakes.
• Assessed earthquake hazard on regional basis and in specific areas.
• Published first paper on Paleoseismology in India and started radon precursory studies in India in 1980.
PATENT: Rastogi, B.K., P.Mandal, R.K. Chadha, H.V.S. Satyanarayana, C.S.P. Sarma, C. Sataymurthy, N. Kumar, I.P. Raju and A. Nageswar Rao (2004). Method of short-term forecasting of moderate size earthquakes, US Patent No. 2394783.
Authored/Edited 4 books.
Published 94 SCI research papers.
Published papers in most prestigious journals like Nature and Science.
Impact Factor of all the papers is over 186.
One research paper forms a chapter of the book "Geophysical Case Histories", Open University Press, UK (1975).
The book "Dams and Earthquakes" Elsevier (2006) was rated instant classic and translated into Russian (1980) and Chinese (1982). It has more than 200 citations
CITATIONS OF RESEARCH PAPERS (Source: Web of Sc.)
Cited papers 105
Total Citations 1451
Maximum citations received for a publication 205
H index (Web of Science) 21
I10-index 41 (all), 21 (since 2007)
•Students Guided in the Field of Seismology:
D.D. Singh - Ph.D. (1980, Indian School of Mines), R.K. Chadha - Ph.D. (1991, Indian School of Mines), Richa Jain (2005, Osmania Univ.), Rajeeva Kumar Jaiswal (2010, Osmania Univ.) Sumer Chopra (2010 Kurukshetra Univ.) and several students for M.S. / M. Tech. in USA and India